The aquatics/swimming program is an important and very enjoyable component of the school curriculum. There are many recognized benefits for the students at Belmore School which include:
- Muscular relaxation and decreased muscle spasm.
- Decreased pain due to warmth and support.
- Increased muscle strength and endurance due to the greater resistance in water.
- Enhanced balance and stabilisation.
- Improved enjoyment and confidence to move better.
All classes have a timetabled session each week where they begin with learning water familiarisation and safety skills. They use a variety of flotation devices and equipment to support and facilitate them in their own way of floating or swimming. This adds fun to the learning process! Some students are practicing pre swimming activities in preparation for learning freestyle and backstroke.