Commitment to Child Safe Standards
Belmore School prides itself on being a child safe environment. Our school actively promotes the safety and wellbeing of all students, and all school staff are committed to protecting students from abuse or harm within our school environment, in accordance with their legal obligations including child safe standards. Belmore School has Child Safety and Wellbeing and Child Safe Code of Conduct policies in place to guide our practice in ensuring the safety of all students. Where required, current Department information is referenced in the application of the Child Safe Standards.
Belmore School implements the Child Safe Standards through the following processes:
Schools – culturally safe environments guidance
Guidance on Child Safe Standard 1: Establish a culturally safe environment in which the diverse and unique identities and experiences of Aboriginal children and young people are respected and valued.
2. Schools – leadership, governance and culture guidance
Guidance on Child Safe Standard 2: Ensure that child safety and wellbeing are embedded in school leadership, governance and culture.
3. Schools – child and student empowerment guidance
Guidance on Child Safe Standard 3: Children and young people are empowered about their rights, participate in decisions affecting them and are taken seriously.
4. Schools – family engagement guidance
Guidance on Child Safe Standard 4: Families and communities are informed and involved in promoting child safety and wellbeing.
5. Schools – diversity and equity guidance
Guidance on Child Safe Standard 5: Equity is upheld and diverse needs are respected in policy and practice.
6. Schools – suitable staff and volunteers guidance
Guidance on Child Safe Standard 6: People working with children and young people are suitable and supported to reflect child safety and wellbeing values in practice.
7. Schools – complaints processes guidance
Guidance on Child Safe Standard 7: Ensure that processes for complaints and concerns are child focused.
8. Schools – child safety knowledge, skills and awareness guidance
Guidance on Child Safe Standard 8: Staff and volunteers are equipped with the knowledge, skills and awareness to keep children and young people safe through ongoing education and training.
9. Schools – child safety in physical and online environments guidance
Guidance on Child Safe Standard 9: Physical and online environments promote safety and wellbeing while minimising the opportunity for children and young people to be harmed.
10. Schools – review of child safety practices guidance
Guidance on Child Safe Standard 10: Implementation of the Child Safe Standards is regularly reviewed and improved.
11. Schools – implementation of child safety practices guidance
Guidance on Child Safe Standard 11: Policies and procedures that document how schools are safe for children, young people and students.
Belmore School policies, procedures and support documentation are located on the staff U-drive in the Child Safe Standards Folder.
- Ministerial Order No. 870 http://www.gazette.vic.gov.au/gazette/Gazettes2016/GG2016S002.pdf
- DHHS Child Protection – 24 hour service – 131 278
- Victoria Police – 000
- Department of Education and Training Security Services Unit – (03) 9603 7999